Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Larry Sanders says he quit basketball to deal with anxiety and depression


The former Bucks big man isn't necessarily quitting hoops for good, but wants to focus on his personal issues for now.


Former Milwaukee Bucks big man Larry Sanders said he quit basketball in order to deal with his anxiety and depression. In a video posted by The Players' Tribune, Sanders explained his decision, saying he's focusing on those personal issues for now instead of trying to sign with another team.


Sanders entered treatment for anxiety, depression and mood disorders at Rogers Memorial Hospital in Wisconsin, which allowed him to learn about himself and what he wanted out of life.


"I love basketball, I'll always be playing basketball. But for it to be consuming so much of my life and time right now, it's not there for me," Sanders said in the video. "It's not worth it."


In 2013, Sanders signed a four-year, $44 million contract with Milwaukee after a breakout season. Last Saturday, he agreed to a buyout with the franchise, ending a tumultuous couple years that saw the big man deal with injuries and ineffectiveness.


Sanders says he doesn't blame the team or the fans for driving him away from the game and added that he isn't necessarily quitting for good. For now, he just wants people to know that he didn't quit because of them and that he's much more than the player they saw on the court.


"You say I'm selfish, and I'm loving, and I'm caring, and I'm fearful sometimes," Sanders said. "I'm also brave."






Source SBNation.com - All Posts http://ift.tt/1AKwYGO

No comments:

Post a Comment