Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Kyle Busch explains Daytona crash, hopes for July return


As Kyle Busch continues to recover from a savage February crash at Daytona, there is no timetable on when he may return.


Kyle Busch doesn't know when he will return to racing as he recovers from injuries sustained in a February accident at Daytona International Speedway, but he hopes to be back in the car by Fourth of July weekend.


In press conference spanning nearly an hour, Busch spoke in detail with reporters Wednesday at the headquarters for Joe Gibbs Racing. Using video, Busch went frame-by-frame through what caused the multi-car wreck and his nearly head-on impact with a concrete wall not protected by a Steel and Foam Energy Reduction (SAFER) barrier, leaving him with a broken right leg and left foot.


"First and foremost, I've got to please my doctors, and they say my recovery is going faster than they expected," said Busch, wearing a walking boot on his left foot. "They won't release me a timetable. It's week by week and what I can show them I can do."


Busch was competing in the Feb. 21 Xfinity Series race when he attempted to push teammate Erik Jones into the lead just past the tri-oval. But Busch misjudged his position, lost control and spun several hundred feet across the track. He explained when slammed the inside wall he was traveling 90 mph with the impact registering 90 Gs.


The force was so great Busch said his helmet and chest struck the steering wheel, with the engine and chassis coming back towards him as he was coming forward.


"The wreck, essentially, was all my fault," Busch said. "I was being greedy."


Immediately, Busch knew he had broken his right leg and planned to remain in the car until rescue workers arrived to extract him. But seeing a flash fire inside the cockpit, the 29-year-old pushed off his right foot to prop himself up on the doorframe where he was then lifted out. Throughout the ordeal, Busch maintained consciousness.


"On my way out, I got stuck," Busch said. I had to pull (his leg). And as I'm doing that, I was thinking, ‘I'm done. There's no way I am going to be able to come back from this. This hurts.'"


Busch credited NASCAR for requiring drivers to wear head-and-neck restraints, as well as instituting other safety features within the car.


"I cannot say enough about NASCAR and its (safety) innovations."


Since Busch's accident, tracks throughout NASCAR have reevaluated its safety procedures with many installing additional SAFER barriers and in some instances, tire packs to cover walls. Daytona track president Joie Chitwood III vowed DIS would increase its number of SAFER barriers by its July 5 Sprint Cup race. Other tracks including


A week following Busch's crash, Jeff Gordon hit an unprotected wall at Atlanta Motor Speedway, but escaped injury. Gordon has been one of several drivers outspoken about the need for more so called "soft walls."


"I'm not going to say I'm happy about the wall I hit not being protected," Busch said. "I'm disappointed that wall wasn't covered, but I'm encouraged by the steps and actions the tracks have taken.


"If there's a wall that needs a tire barrier, put one there. But it can't be constructed overnight. I understand that. We're all hoping sooner rather than later."


In days after returning home from the hospital, Busch spent the majority of time playing video games and entertaining visitors. He and wife Samantha, who Busch thanked in his opening remarks Wednesday, are expecting the couple's first child next month. In addition to spending time rehabbing and working out daily, the Busch's have spent the majority of their time preparing for their son's arrival.


Because NASCAR has enacted a testing ban this season, when Busch is cleared to get back in a car he first will first test a Late Model to gauge his readiness. The key is seeing how much pressure he can place on his left foot -- Busch is a left-footed braker -- and if he can work the pedals.


It is still to be determined whether Busch will be eligible for the Chase for the Sprint Cup when he returns. To do so, he must receive a medical exemption, win a race and place 30th or better in the point standings, which is unlikely considering the number of races he's missed. NASCAR, which hasn't yet granted a waiver, could rescind the points ranking requirement.


"I would love to be," said Busch of making the Chase. "I don't know if it's going to be 100 percent feasible."






Source SBNation.com - All Posts http://ift.tt/1ywyKOn

No comments:

Post a Comment